In the list of items and equipment God told the Israelites to make for the Tabernacle (Exodus 35-38), tent pegs are listed at the very end and seem quite inconsequential: “All the tent pegs of the tabernacle and of the surrounding courtyard were bronze” (Exodus 38:20). Most of the time, when thinking about the Tabernacle where God dwelt, we probably think of the Ark of the Covenant, the lamp stand, the altar, or even the curtain separating the Holy of Holies from the rest of the Tabernacle.
Yet anyone who has gone camping knows tent pegs are a crucial piece of equipment to hold the tent in place. Without being securely fastened down by tent pegs, a strong gust of wind can send your tent into shambles!
Prayer Warriors are the Spiritual Tent Pegs in God’s House
We are seeing God’s kingdom expand like never before. People from many tribes and nations are coming into God’s tent. God’s tent is growing larger and larger. Praise Him! But it is all the more crucial to strengthen and stake down the tent through prayer and intercession.
Prayer is critical in our current season. It’s an important way we can be like Christ, who taught us how to pray and be in conversation with our Father.
Ways You Can Pray for the Kingdom
- Pray fervently for all the nations to come into God’s kingdom (Mk 11:15-17, Ps 2:8).
- Research and find out which nations and people have yet to know him and pray specifically for those peoples.
- Pray for open doors among lost peoples, and for the gospel to be proclaimed in a way whole families and communities can come into his kingdom (Col 4:3).
- Pray for the leaders and key influencers in communities, and that God would reveal himself to them, so these people can lead their communities to follow Jesus (1 Tim 2:1-2).
- Pray for many more effective laborers to bring in the harvest (Matt 9:38). Many of these laborers might be the most unexpected people (Samaritan woman, tax collectors, fishermen, etc.). Pray for protection of the laborers and the new believers.
- Pray for movements of peoples to come to Christ from these nations. Pray for many generations of new churches and new groups to be started.
- Pray every new believer would become an obedient disciple who actively hears from God, obeys, and shares with others (Matt 28:18-20).
Don’t pray alone!
Band together with others to commit to pray together. Although we may be limited to virtual connection, pray with one another. There is power in community prayer.
Isaiah 54:2-3 ESV: “Enlarge the place of your tent and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; do not hold back; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes [tent pegs]. For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left, and your offspring will possess the nations and will people the desolate cities.”
*Article written by a guest writer who serves in the CAMENA region (Central Asia, Middle East, and North Africa).