The 2nd OC Alumni Retreat “Homecoming” (October 8-11) at the St. Francis Retreat Center, NW of Colorado Springs, was a wonderful time together with One Challenge “alumni” of all ages. This included retired and current OC mission workers, former and current office staff, OC board members, and adult MKs!
What Aspect of This Homecoming was the Most Meaningful to You?
People who attended the recent OC Alumni Retreat had this to say…
- Hearing the history of OC and challenge for the future
- Individual sharing times, OC ministry and strategy updates
- Reports by Dean & Dick very helpful. Glad the MK gang could be here!
- I liked the 90 seconds questions.
- Stories of the history
- Fellowship and updates
- Worship, prayer trios, the Word and catching up with OC friends and co-mission workers
- Seeing the people & hearing their stories 😊 Updates of what God is doing now
- Remembrances – worship times
- Time with people, hymns, stories
- Seeing so many classics together, seeing old photos and touching OC’s living legends!
- Delightful atmosphere, charming grounds
What Kind of Things Happened at the Homecoming?
Sue DeVries (who organized the event along with her husband Jim DeVries) describes this special alumni homecoming time:
- We had 29 stay overnight and 45 at most meetings and meals.
- The program included time in the Word (Greg G. and Ralph A.) and worship, updates on the mission and field stories, old film clips and interviews from Bud Schaeffer, Chuck Holsinger, Dick Hillis. We enjoyed sharing 90 second stories of language mistakes, team memories, influential people in OC, advice to missionaries today, personal ministry highlights.
- One new thing was the official inauguration of Debbie Stephan Rice as an MK. (The Hong Kong field claimed her as theirs.)
- We spent quality time in prayer triplets, praying for one another.
- Another new thing was the mini concert from Candy and Doug Gintz, who included “No Foreign Gods” in their selections.
- There were prizes given away (CDs and Starbucks gift cards) for those who could answer OC Presidents’ trivia questions.
- The Memorial service to our departed colleagues was followed by a wonderful Communion service.
- It was fun seeing the group of adult MK’s: 5 women in the dorm who stayed up late every night talking! (Teri Cook, Milei Cook, Zoe Brown, Lita Wilhelm Lott, Debbie Stephan Rice) and the final meal included two more: Shelly Cook V.(and Glen Volkhardt), Debbie Wait Halverson (and her husband Dean Halverson.)
- We had a number of book reviews, and “How to Finish the Christian Life” by Donald W. and George Sweeting was given to each participant in the gift bags.
- A special aspect to me was the get-together of Doug and Dawn L. with Hans and Alice Wilhelm, who were early mentors of Doug in Los Altos Christian Church when Hans went along on a retreat with the high school group and taught the adult S.S. class in which their parents recommitted their lives to the Lord. What an impact!
- Another special was having Arnell and Terri Motz come from California, and though they ended their career with SIM in Canada, the Lord used them to launch Outreach Canada and work on a big church planting research project there.
- Ray and Diane Sanford were also at one of the mornings and lunches from Canada, and Greg and Denyse G. came the farthest, from Indonesia!
- Kay De Vries, former teacher at Black Forest Academy in Germany in 2000-2002 for OC, came from Minnesota to renew her fellowship with the mission. She was likely our oldest participant at 87, along with Hans and Alice who are also 87.
The next Homecoming will NOT be just for alumni. It will likely be held Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 2020.