The call to “Go North” is a challenge to the church in Southern Africa to go and make disciples in North Africa. There is a great need in the countries of North Africa to bring people to saving faith in Christ and multiply movements of disciple-making churches. Research by the Movement for African National Initiatives (MANI) has affirmed that the maturing church in Southern Africa has the people and resources to respond to this need.
A collaborative Go North project began to further assess the need and opportunities in the North Africa region. “We are praising the Lord that one of our long-standing friends and OC Africa ministry partners, Thomas Maphophe, has been selected to represent South Africa in this Go North project!” says Karl, OC’s Africa Area Director.
Thomas has served with Karl in Church Planting Alliance of Southern Africa (CPA) and Global Church Planting Alliance (GCPN) for nearly 18 years. “We are thrilled for this open door for Thomas to assist in mobilizing believers in Southern Africa to respond to the Go North call!” Karl says.
Understanding the Need
At consultations in North Africa, Thomas heard testimonies from local believers of how difficult it is to share their faith and plant churches in North African countries. “During his time there, four participants received threatening emails stating that they would be arrested when they returned home,” Karl says. “The other delegates from the consultation raised funds for these brothers to spend time in another country until they could return home safely. The realities of persecution are great!”
A few workers from French and English speaking African countries who work in the region are having success in reaching university students, migrant workers, and other peoples. This is done in homes, schools, and secret places. “Thomas was able to listen, provide encouragement, and share his experience,” Karl says.
Here’s what Thomas has learned so far:
- God is using ordinary people to reach the Muslim world.
- Partnership is important in reaching the Muslims in Africa.
- It’s important to develop and send young people who are willing to study and work in North Africa.
- The door is wide open for the gospel to be preached in the Middle East as well. Local Christians are working hard to bring peace to this region.
Pray with One Challenge
One Challenge and OC Africa are grateful for how God is allowing Thomas to extend his ministry impact in Africa. Your prayers are needed!
- Pray for wisdom for Thomas and the Go North project team as they discover practical ways to mobilize Southern Africans to complete the Great Commission in North Africa.
- Pray for planning and participation by key leaders in the upcoming Southern Africa regional MANI consultation from August 21-24 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Thomas is helping facilitate the Unengaged and Unreached People focus group.
- Pray for healing of a lingering eye inflection that has impacted Thomas’ vision.
Church Planting & Growth
One Challenge is an international mission sending agency empowering local church ministry in more than 100 countries around the world. We invest in people and opportunities that enable churches to be planted, thrive, grow, and multiply. When invited by local leaders, OC conducts training for church planters and those interested in learning about disciple-making movements.