Less than 18 months ago a mustard seed of a dream to assist women by giving essential life perspectives and practical relational life skills began to grow and flourish. Now it is budding and bearing fruit in Asia. This dream called, Julia’s Hope, a ministry of OC Resources (Singapore), was planted in the hearts of six women who simply wanted to help other women.
These six women from Singapore, Indonesia, and the U.S., received training and certification from Flourish©, a biblical, truth-infused, “ … life skills equipping program that puts essential perspectives and practical tools in the hands of female participants of all ages.”
From that beginning group, a cadre of eight formed, an inter-generational group of professional women with stellar portfolios in the business world and also in His kingdom work — a former social worker, teachers, pastors’ wives, homemakers, cross-cultural workers, businesswomen. They all desire to resource women and girls with a biblical worldview and practical life skills in Southeast Asia (SEA) via the Flourish© training program.
“We envision Julia’s Hope flourishing as it brings gospel heart change and a living hope to the lives of women and girls,” says Deborah Walker, OC worker and national coordinator of Julia’s Hope in Singapore.
A Year in Review
In the last year, the Lord has brought about:
- Training events (Flourish© Participant Course and Train the Trainer Course) facilitated by the six original trainers resulting in: 30+ Indonesian women and girls, 11 university women in Phnom Penh, and 10+ women in Singapore impacted by this curriculum. Additionally, eight women from Cambodia, four women from Indonesia, and four women from Singapore are now licensed trainers with Flourish©!
- Basic Flourish© concepts on worth and identity have been shared in Yangon, Myanmar with the hope of future training opportunities there.
- Julia’s Hope is in the beginning stages of facilitating a library, school, and hydroponics for a nearby fishing village.
Many have experienced transformation through the training events. One woman says, “I remember anticipating that I would use the things I learned in the course to make a difference in other women’s lives … but Flourish© made a difference in my life instead! It was a journey to rediscover my true identity and self-worth.”
Deborah says she is thankful for the women the Lord has brought into this project. “Honestly, I continue to have goose bump, ‘sanctified stumbling’ experiences with Julia’s Hope and am so very honored to be ‘doing community’ with like-hearted women,” she says.
Pray with One Challenge
The best is yet to come in the ministry, which the Lord is blessing and growing. Here’s how to pray:
- Julia’s Hope objective for 2017: At least one Flourish© training event in Singapore and one in a country where networking has already begun.
- Ask the Lord to surprise Julia’s Hope trainers by multiplying their efforts and opening avenues for training more trainers with the Flourish© curriculum both in Singapore and in neighboring countries.
- Ask the Lord to give Julia’s Hope the ability to walk by faith and “to give glory (to His name) for the sake of His steadfast love and faithfulness.” (Psalm 115:1)
- Also, ask Him to give Julia’s Hope courage to communicate to women in SE Asia this truth: “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save, he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17)
One Challenge is an international agency committed to bringing God’s transforming love and hope to all people. We identify and work to meet the physical, emotional, and social needs of individuals and communities, providing opportunities for deeper level relationships and deeper levels of change. These ministries include education, medical services, agricultural development, community development, and small business mentoring … helping local people to build a healthy community.