Austria is an area of Europe that has a lot of brokenness lines among the Christian denominations there. OC International-UK mission workers, Don and Nancy Prokop, work to unite Christian denominations and bring healing to a country still recovering and reconciling from its World War II past.
Don Prokop’s ministry in Austria focuses on four major areas:
- Leadership development of future leaders working in the area of disciple making, church planting, and evangelism
- Creating a prayer network with emphasis on intercession
- Working with unity networks to create ecumenical prayer across denominational lines
- Helping reconcile the nation of Israel with Austria’s anti-Semitic past.
Unity starting at Stephensplatz 2001
During his time of ministry in Austria, Don has witnessed amazing works of God through prayer and in the area of unity. One amazing story happened in 2001 at an across-denominational festival for Jesus held in Vienna’s main square, Stephensplatz. Prior to the event, it had been raining in Vienna for two weeks straight and the forecast for the day of the festival was no different. “8,000 people showed up a wearing rain parkas or carrying umbrellas,” says Don. “When the first note of worship began, a procession led by a large cross and followed by flags of Austria’s nine provinces (states) headed for the stage. The rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the sun broke through on Stephensplatz. We stood under an open heaven for the next eight hours. That day, nobody’s name was mentioned on the stage except Jesus.” At the festival, the gospel was preached, repentance made and for the six hours after the procession, 8,000 people worshipped Jesus. “All over Austria it rained that day except on Stephensplatz,” says Don. “God made sure his love for the humility, repentance and the worship of his body in unity was the cause of miracle. For when the last note of worship was played and the instruments were packed away, the clouds over Stephensplatz closed in, and it began to rain over the Platz again.”
Unity of believers today
Don says through unity of believers, in his 27 years in ministry in Austria, he has seen the spiritual climate change. In 2011, a meeting of Catholic and non-Catholic leaders led the way to healing between groups and out of that a group of 40,000 believers formed from five denominations. “When we moved to Austria nearly 27 years ago, Austria Christians (born again believers) were counted, including Catholics and totaled a mere 15,000 believers,” says Don. “Now in one group alone there would be 40,000 people. The whole spiritual climate due to our efforts in unity has changed here and is ripe for evangelism, discipleship and church planting.”
Items for Prayer…
- Pray for Austria’s relationship with Israel, that it would be changed on every level to one of “Comforting God’s Chosen Nation.”
- Pray for Don and Nancy as they care for her elderly mother.
- Pray for our ministries to be focused on God given assignments without distraction and with breakthroughs in the spiritual realms that come from intercessory prayer.